Friday 31 May 2013

Swimming with Great White Sharks :D

Hey hey hey my shark loving hipsters how the hell are ya :)

Ok so the title pretty much explains it ;) . I just figured i'd tell ya about the time when Sara and I went swimming with the Great White Sharks in Australia ( in a cage of course :P )

So Sara and I were on the biggest and most epic road trip I have ever done which was all the way down the east coast of Australia taking in Byron Bay , Coffs Harbour , Newcastle , Sydney , Melbourne , Geelong , Adelaide and Port Lincoln ( where the dive was ) then on the way back we passed through Broken Hill , and some other places I can remember now haha ...The whole trip was about 6000 klms and took about 3 weeks :) Was to short though as we had to spend a lot of time driving ( about 4 hours a day average) . But it was still an epic trip to say the least :). There were periods of  time when there wasn't much to do or look at so we decided to play a game ....count how many road kills we saw haha ...we got to 402 by the end of the trip :P ;)

Ok so yeah the shark dive was in a place called Port Lincoln which is about 700 klms past Adelaide , it cost about $500 with video and photos included ...best $500 I have EVER spent !! The first time when you see the shark just even from the boat was almost the best part because you just see it and you think .....fuck ....that's one huge killing machine haha ...and I mean huge because the sharks there that day were all 4m+ and of course they are super solid to go with the massive length .

                                          This is a photo I took from the cage :) :D



The whole thing was done in a cage of course and the staff threw huge chunks of tuna in the water past the cage and then drag them back towards the cage so you see the sharks biting down on the tuna right before your eyes :) Usually there is 6 people in the cage for 45 mins at a time but after about 15 mins 2 girls who were in the cage with us got out because apparently they couldn't handle the whole scuba thing with the breathing through the mouth only thing ....WHICH WAS AWESOME !! Because this meant we had so much more room to swim around the cage and move where we want . A girl who we were talking to on the boat ride out to the island was saying that she actually touched one! . I said nah no way how the hell did u do that ?...she said u just wait until the sharks head goes past and reach out and touch it near the tail ....so of course I had to try this because im an idiot haha so when the shark swam past I put my hand out to touch it but it kinda just kept moving away until Sara grabbed my arm back inside the cage because at this point I had nearly my whole arm through the gap in the cage trying to touch the shark and Sara just gave me a look of a million words basically saying ...ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID DONT DO THAT AGAIN !!! ...So I decided against it haha .

The whole thing isn't really scary at all , the main part that is scary is actually getting in and out of the cage as you think what if a rouge wave came and knocked me in the water ...i'd be fucked ! The crazy thing is the staff just stand on the back of the boat on these metal platforms with NO harness or anything throwing huge chunks of tuna into the water and one slip and they be in there swimming with the sharks ....crazy people !!

It was so amazing to be down in the cage with one of the worlds top predators , just to see how big they are and also we were lucky enough to have about 4 or 5 sharks at the same time swimming around ... a couple of times one just swam at me and stared me straight in the eyes ...I will never forget that :) I want to go shark diving again and I hope to when I eventually make it to South Africa as its the only other place in the world where u can dive with the Great White Sharks , some can get up to 6m long and it would be super epic to see one of these monsters !! :)

If you even have the slightest arousement of interest in this activity then don't second guess it and just ring up and book a dive because its one of these things that is undeniably awesome and worth much more than the $500 that it costs ! :)

That is all, Peace out , Catch :)




No comments:

Post a Comment